Monday, July 21, 2008

A lot of great things have happened in the last couple of weeks. We had two very special people in town visit with our family, Noah celebrated his sixth birthday party, and we sold our house!
As always I know my life is not going to slow down, but in fact it is going to rapidly speed up. I have a lot of packing to do and a big garage sale to organize, my Imogene race is approaching, I have to re-memorize my Bikram Yoga dialogue for the re certification coming up, and Jonathan and I are going to start trying to get pregnant with our fourth child this fall. Before I get wrapped up in all of the above future events I want to make sure I record the wonderful visit our family had with my Great Uncle John.

Uncle John

Both of my Moms parents died tragically young. Although my mom does not talk about it often I know that it has been hard on her and her siblings. My sisters and I naturally felt the pain of my moms past and we sometimes think about how much joy our Grandparents would have brought into our life, had we have known them. We have recently been blessed by the interest my Grandpa Franks brother has taken in our life. My Great Uncle John got back in contact with my mother about three years ago after the passing of my sister Katie. He has since been out to visit us twice. Both times were equally enjoyable for him and My family. The visit we just shared was amazing and I will always be grateful for the memories we created.
I volunteered to pick John up from the airport. My sister Morgan and my boys came along and we planned a day out of our trip to Phoenix. After John arrived we went out to lunch at the Macaroni Grill and immediately John and My youngest son Tanner hit it off. They started throwing a crayon back and forth at each other across the table. Normally I wouldn't allow this type of behavior at a restaurant but I just couldn't say anything after seeing the big smile on both of their faces. Well that activity came to a halt after Tanner managed to throw his crayon into the plate of dipping oil and splatter it all over Uncle Johns face and shirt. It didn't seem to bother John, only tickle him more. We finished off the day with a trip to the LDS visitor center to view the traveling photography exhibit, and then spent dinner in Cottonwood with Annie, who is a long time family friend and who knew my Grandpa Frank and also my Great Uncle John. It was a lovely day and we were all pooped by the end and had to spend the following day just relaxing and visiting.
Between My mom, myself, and my uncle David, we all planned a day with John. On me and Jonathan's day we decided to take him out to Lake Mary. I'm not sure if most people would have taken an 80+ year old man out on a boat, but we did and I know he enjoyed the adventure and the show we put on for him. He got to see Noah knee board, all three of the kids go on an inter tube ride, and me and Jonathan wake board. After we were done boating and were enjoying some watermelon under the Ramada he looked at me and said, " You know Josie, you did real good out there. I know it's genetic because your Grandpa Frank was a daredevil himself. He never had any fear and as you know he was a real good fighter pilot." I loved hearing this. I have always been drawn to high adrenaline sports, and no one else in my family ever was. After hearing this I know that my Grandpa Frank and I would have gotten along.
I could go on and on about our visit but those are the highlights that stick out in my mind. I am so grateful for my Great Uncle John and for the love and interest he has shown for my family. Even with the twelve children that he has he has managed to call us on birthdays and on other holidays. I love hearing the memories he has of my Grandpa Frank and my Grandma Mary, but they only make me wish more that I could have met them and have had a relationship with them.

1 comment:

sara said...

That's really neat Josie- I love hearing stories of ancestors and feeling a 'connection' - which you obviously did. And I love that you took your great uncle out on the boat!!! :)