Thursday, March 13, 2008

Road Trip


Arches National Park





Never ending open land
as far as my eye can see
Draws me in, and makes me wonder
is my soul as free
To stretch as high as a mountains top
and be as bold as a canyons steep slot
To run as swiftly and constantly
as a rivers flowing stream
Or to stand as strongly and unafraid
as the lonesome tree
It makes me wonder where I would be
if my soul was as free
as the land that goes and goes
as far as the eye can see
I was inspired to write this little poem on the drive from Flagstaff to Moab, Utah. Ever since I was a little girl I have been fascinated by the amount of undeveloped land in the Southwest. I love being able to drive for miles and miles without seeing one sign of human civilization.
My family decided to come with me to Utah to support me as I ran the Moab half-marathon. The trip ended up to be fun although we wished that we had one more day to play since the marathon ended up eating up a lot of our time.
When I first signed up for the marathon I was so mad at myself for doing it. I felt like I didn't have enough time to train and I decided that I didn't really enjoy running. In the end I am so glad I did it. I have found a new appreciation for running and it has gotten me in shape for all the other activities I enjoy in the summer. Not to mention getting my body ready for swimsuit season! I can also check off another one of my New Years goals which was to finish the race in under two hours. I came in at 1hr 56 min..
The trip to Moab was the perfect way to finish off all the hard work of training. The condo and friends we stayed with were amazing, the drive was beautiful, and my little Noah learned how to swim! He is so excited! Hopefully I can post some more pictures as my friends forward them to me.

2 comments:

debsfreckles said...

Good for you! You do look great!

sara said...

Josie!

l
o
v
e

your poem!

Love the Arches picture and I loved watching you prance down the road! Seriously - All I can think of is 'deer' when you run! ha.

I meant to ask you tonight -Where do you teach Yoga??