Monday, June 23, 2008

Memories

I believe every one of your senses can bring back a memory, whether it be a smell, a sight, the touch or feel of something, a taste, or a particular sound. Today my neighbor called and asked me to pick up an important piece of mail that was in her mailbox. Not bothering to put on shoes, I just hurried out the door and started walking down the sidewalk and then crossed the street. The feel of smooth and bumpy, almost uncomfortably hot asphalt was so familiar. I immediately realized that in the summer as a child I hardly ever wore shoes. I was grateful for the memory that the warm asphalt triggered in my mind. It puts a smile on my face to think about that little blond girl with unkempt hair and bare feet, who was always playing and exploring outside and around the neighborhood.

1 comment:

sara said...

I love it. And I love the imagery of you as a little girl! I can see it! :) This post is so true. Smells and music take me back!!!